Breed-specific laws state-by-state
Municipalities with BSL
States with constitutionally upheld BSL
Appellate courts in fourteen states and the District of Columbia have upheld the constitutionality of breed-specific legislation. Learn more in the section: Constitutionality of Breed-Specific Laws.
Many foreign countries have enacted breed-specific legislation as well, including: Canada, Great Britain, Germany, France, Ireland, Australia, and more. Please see a full list of these countries.
- Ireland Dog Control Act | Dublin Breen Ban
- New South Wales: Companion Animal Act
- New Zealand Dog Control Amendment Act
- Ontario, Canada: Dog Owners’ Liability Act
- Winnipeg, Canada: The Pound By-law
- Spain: Ownership of Potentially Dangerous Animals
- Turkey Animal Protection Law
- United Kingdom: Dangerous Dogs Act