Dog bite victim resources ::
Suggested books and articles for dog bite victims, their family members and friends. If you are searching for a dog bite lawyer, please visit our growing dog bite attorney directory.
Safety & survival books
Misunderstood Nanny Dogs?
Attorney J. Thomas Beasley dives into America's pit bull mauling epidemic in a compelling new book and discusses the primary myths trumpeted by pit bull owners, chiefly the thoroughly debunked Nanny dog myth, the true history of the pit bull breed and ways to curb the mauling epidemic. Beasley presents an abundance of evidence and asks readers to draw their own conclusions. | Read our book review
My Dog Doesn't Bite
Dr. Jack Tillerson has practiced veterinary medicine for over twenty years and has witnessed the horrors associated with canine attacks. The majority of victims are children -- left maimed, disfigured and even killed. In addition to learning about dog breeds most likely to inflict devastating injury, readers will learn the myths and excuses used by owners of dangerous breeds in an effort to deflect criticism.
Dangerous By Default: Extreme Breeds
On April 28, 2007, Anthony Solesky's son and two other boys were attacked by a loose pit bull. Anthony's son suffered life-altering injuries in the incident. "Dangerous by Default" is a first hand account by Anthony about the attack and its aftermath. In a raw, powerful voice, Anthony leads readers through his son's painful ordeal and the community upheaval and healing that followed.
On Behalf of Innocents
Following a near fatal attack by two pit bulls on November 5, 1992 while walking in a public park, Caress Garten tells her story of survival. Each step guided her toward the mission to change the law and hold irresponsible owners accountable for vicious dogs. In 1993, and on behalf of Garten's efforts, the State of Indiana passed Indiana Code § 15-20-1-4, which criminally penalizes owners of vicious dogs.
The 100 Silliest Things People Say About Dogs
In this ground-breaking and sometimes controversial book, Alexandra Semyonova explodes the 100 most common myths about dogs, their nature, their behavior and how to treat them. Some of the myths addressed include: Dogs are a kind of tame wolf; Dogs are predators and pack animals; You have to be your dog’s leader, or else the dog will dominate you; and Pit bulls are "just like any other dog."
Diggity the Dog
Diggity the Dog is a puppet show book created by artist Lisa Lelue. This interactive book is a dog bite safety tool that offers 17 vital safety tips for parents and children. Lisa designed this book after her 9-year old son Benjamin was attacked by a "friendly neighborhood" pit bull-mix. She also created a website, Get Smart with Diggity the Dog, that shows a slide show demonstration of the book and a video.
Molly the Pony: A True Story
Molly the Pony is a children's book about people, ponies and hope. It is a story about a speckled pony that was abandoned after Hurricane Katrina. After finally finding shelter, Molly was attacked by a pit bull and lost part of her front leg. Molly, however, was not ready to give up. She was fitted with a prosthetic limb and relearned how to walk. Molly's story continues to inspire hope in thousands of others.
- Thank You Letter: Experienced Dog Trainer Shares Attack Story & Professional...
- Founder Colleen Lynn Reflects Upon Four Year Anniversary of Her Attack
- Book Review: Misunderstood Nanny Dogs? A Critical and Objective Analysis...
- Canine Attack Victims' Group Releases Open Letter to Arianna Huffington
- Canine Attack Victims' Group Releases Public Service Announcement...
- Texas Woman and Her Rescuer Describe Savage Pit Bull Attack on The Doctors...
- Video: Two Mothers Share Their Stories of Losing a Child in Family Dog Attack
- Video: Two Men Share Their Stories of Surviving a Life-Threatening Dog Attack
- Historic Pit Bull Attack Survivor, Angela Hands, Seeks Out Fabulous Five...
- As Family Mourns, Propaganda Hides Danger of Pit Bull Attacks - Steve Blow
- Anchorage Pit Bull Attack: The Mechanics of a "Classic" Unprovoked Pit Bull Attack
- Beyond the Interview: Essay of a Fatal Pit Bull Mauling - DogsBite.org
- Video: Mother of Fatal Pit Bull Attack Victim Shares Story with State Representative
- Video: Pit Bull Attack Survivor Shares How the Violent Attack Altered Her Life...
- Father of Pregnant Pacifica Woman Killed by Her Pet Pit Bull Writes Letter
- Maul Talk Manual: A Guide to Understanding the Language of Pit Bull Owners
- Texas Doctors Produce Study: Mortality, Mauling and Maiming by Vicious Dogs
- Pit Bull Attack Survivor Attends Court Hearing and The Universal Prayer...
- Letter: Colorado Springs Senior Citizen Asks 'Why No Pit Bull Ban' After Vicious...
- New Brunswick Pit Bull Attack: Babysitting, the Zero Margin of Error Rule and...
- Total Chaos: Husband Recounts Violent Pit Bull Attack Inside Patrolled, Gated...
- Pit Bulls: A 21st Century Depiction of the American Pit Bull Terrier - Gary Wilkes
- Solesky Family Releases 911 Call at the Center of High Court Decision
- 'Bundling Dangerous Traits' and Responsibility by Anthony Solesky
- I'm Tired of 'Pit Bulls Before People,' A Response to Carrie Pollare
- What Happens When A Victim Does Not Report a Dog Bite?
- How to Pass a Local Pit Bull Ordinance -- Where Does One Start?
- How to Evict a Pit Bull from an Apartment Complex in 2 Days
- Collection of Pit Bull Scalp Attack Victims - DogsBite.org