Dog ownership guides ::
Animal behaviorist and author Alexandra Semyonova1 provides safety guidelines for owners of normal dogs and dangerous breeds in two different guides. Each contains 10 rules of thumb.
Dog Ownership Guide for Normal Dogs
The dog ownership guide for normal dogs covers dog breeds and types that have never been used for aggressive purposes -- the companion breeds. These are breeds and types that do not show up disproportionately in serious and fatal dog attack statistics.
The number one rule with normal dogs is: Build on trust, not on coercion or violence. A dog that fully trusts humans is the dog that is least likely to bite...
Read guide for normal dogs »
Dog Ownership Guide for Dangerous Breeds
The dog ownership guide for dangerous breeds covers dog breeds and types that have been developed and used for war, dogfighting, animal baiting, and/or guarding purposes -- the dangerous breeds. These are breeds and types that are disproportionately represented in serious and fatal dog attack statistics.
The number one rule with these dogs is: Always have a break stick handy wherever the dog is present. This means indoors and outdoors. A break stick can keep you or police from having to kill your dog to make it release if it grips someone...
Read guide for dangerous breeds »
- The 100 Silliest Things People Say About Dogs by Alexandra Semyonova
- Alexandra Semyonova: Heritability of Behavior in the Abnormally Aggressive Dog
- Alexandra Semyonova: Commentary After Protection Trained Dog Kills a Boy
- Alexandra Semyonova: Observations After 'Startled' Rehomed Pit Bull Kills a Baby
- Hulking Pit Bull-Type Dog Kills Woman, Injures Another at Rescue Dog Facility
- Recently Adopted Pit Bull-Mix Kills Woman, Severely Injures Owner in Florida
- Volunteer at Humane Society of St. Lucie County Dies After Pit Bull Attack
- Hearing After Alleged 'Service' Pit Bull Attacks Officer in San Francisco Library
- Hearing After Two Pit Bulls Attack a Man and His Dog in Chinatown, San Francisco
- Attack in Maine Shows that Characteristics of 'Classic Pit Bull Attack' Never Change
- Anchorage Pit Bull Attack: The Mechanics of a "Classic" Unprovoked Pit Bull Attack
- Pit Bull Described as 'Mild-Mannered' Brutally Kills Female Owner During a Walk
- Victim Shares Video After Pit Bull Mauling: Unprovoked, Disinhibited Aggression
- 2020 Edition: 125 Behavior Terms for Shelter Dogs Decoded that Mask Aggression
- 2021 Addendum: Shelter Dog Terms Targeting Fosters and Major Liability Dogs
- What's Behind the Click and Bait Web Advertisements of Aggressive Shelter Dogs?
- Why Breed Matters in Service Dogs and Why Pit Bull Service Dogs are a Bad Idea
- 2021 Fatal Dog Attack Breed Identification Photographs - DogsBite.org
- 2020 Fatal Dog Attack Breed Identification Photographs - DogsBite.org
- Thank You Letter: Experienced Dog Trainer Shares Attack Story & Professional...
- Saving Man's Best Friend: How Dangerous Breed Advocates are Redefining Our Relationships with Dogs and Why We Should Stop Them
- Learn more about animal behaviorist and author Alexandra Semyonova by visiting her website, Nonlinear Dogs. Excerpts and several chapters of her book, The 100 Silliest Things People Say About Dogs, are located on her website.