Breed-specific legislation studies ::
Studies, court decisions and policy papers about breed-specific legislation -- examining its effectiveness, constitutionality and more -- authored by doctors, researchers and legal experts.
- A Review of Dog Bites in the United States from 1958 to 2016: Systematic Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature, by Chad Bailey, MD, Katharine Hinchcliff, MD, and Lee Pu, MD, PhD, FACS, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - Global Open, 2017 Abstract Supplement, Presentations at the American Society of Plastic Surgeons' Annual Meeting: Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2017, 2017 Sep; 5(9 Suppl): 172-173.
- Evaluating the Prevalence and Effectiveness of Breed-Specific Legislation, by Felicia E Trembath, Dissertation, Purdue University, 2016.
- Effectiveness of Breed-Specific Legislation in Decreasing the Incidence of Dog-Bite Injury Hospitalisations in People in the Canadian Province of Manitoba, by Malathi Raghavan, Patricia J Martens, Dan Chateau, and Charles Burchill, Injury Prevention, Published Online First, June 30, 2012 | Supplemental letter: Effectiveness of breed-specific legislation in decreasing dog-bite injury hospitalizations in Manitoba--what it means to researchers, policy-makers and the public, by Raghavan et al., Injury Prevention, September 2012 | View study highlights
- Decline in Hospitalisations Due to Dog Bite Injuries in Catalonia, 1997–2008. An Effect of Government Regulation?, by Villalbí JR, Cleries M, Bouis S, Peracho V, Duran J and Casas C, Injury Prevention, 2010 Dec;16(6):408-10 | View study highlights
- Motion for Summary Judgment, No. 1:20-cv-00016-JAJ-SHL, Rachel Danker v. City of Council Bluffs, Iowa, USDC S.D. Iowa, November 1, 2021.
- Affidavit of Felicia Trembath, PhD, MPH, No. 1:20-cv-00016-JAJ-SHL, Rachel Danker v. City of Council Bluffs, Iowa, USDC S.D. Iowa, October 25, 2021.
- Report and Addendum of Felicia Trembath, PhD, MPH, No. 1:20-cv-00016-JAJ-SHL, Rachel Danker v. City of Council Bluffs, Iowa, USDC S.D. Iowa, October 25, 2021.
- Motion to Dismiss Amended Complaint, No. 1:17-cv-23716-PCH, Miami Coalition Against Breed Specific Legislation v. Miami-Dade County, Florida, USDC S.D. Fla., February 2, 2018 | Case dismissed
- Motion to Dismiss Complaint, No. 1:17-cv-23716-PCH, Miami Coalition Against Breed Specific Legislation v. Miami-Dade County, Florida, USDC S.D. Fla., November 27, 2017.
- Dissent: State of West Virginia v. Michael Blatt and Kim Blatt, by Justice Allen H. Loughry II, Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, June 16, 2015.
- Tracey v. Solesky, On Motion For Reconsideration, No. 53, September Term, 2011, Court of Appeals of Maryland, August 21, 2012.
- Tracey v. Solesky, No. 53, September Term, 2011, Court of Appeals of Maryland, April 26, 2012.
- Tracey v. Solesky, No. 2207, September Term, 2009, Court of Special Appeals of Maryland, April 5, 2011.
- Denver's Pit Bull Ordinance - History and Judicial Rulings, Kory A. Nelson, Senior City Attorney for the City of Denver, April 15, 2005.
Legal and policy papers
- Estimated U.S. Cities, Counties, States and Military Facilities with Breed-Specific Pit Bull Laws, compiled by DogsBite.org annually, last updated February 1, 2021.
- Comments of DogsBite.org, Incorporated, Traveling by Air with Service Animals, April 5, 2020 (Docket No. DOT-OST-2018-0068, ID: DOT-OST-2018-0068-18935)
- The Enduring High Profile Pit Bull Maulings, by Colleen Lynn, founder of DogsBite.org, Keynote Speech for National Pit Bull Victim Awareness Day Event, Lansing, Michigan, October 24, 2019.
- Are Dog Bites a Problem of Nature or Nurture?, by Tang J, Arneja JS, Plast Surg (Oakv), 2018 Nov; 26(4): 297–298.
- Castle Rock Should Change Its Pit Bull Policy, by Kory A. Nelson, February 6, 2018.
- Selling a Lobbying Pamphlet as Science: "The Role of Breed in Dog Bite Risk and Prevention", An analysis of the May 15, 2014 AVMA pamphlet "Literature Review on the Welfare Implications of The Role of Breed in Dog Bite Risk and Prevention" by Alexandra Semyonova, October 2016 (nonlineardogs.com) | View related post
- How Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has Harmed our Cause in the Past, Continues to Harm it, and Ideas to Reduce or Eliminate this Harm, by Colleen Lynn, founder of DogsBite.org, February 13, 2014.
- Brief of Amicus Curiae DogsBite.org in Support of Appellees, Court of Appeals of Maryland, Docket No. 53, October 2011.
- Proactive Dog Policy: Why Seattle Needs It, by Colleen Lynn, founder of DogsBite.org, March 2, 2008.
- Profiling Two Sides of the Issue, edited by Bernard E. Rollin, Phd, contributions by Alan M. Beck, Sc.D. and Ledy VanKavage, Esq, Veterinary Forum, January, 2007.
- One City's Experience, by Kory A. Nelson, Senior Assistant City Attorney for the City of Denver, Municipal Lawyer, July/August 2005.
- Barking Mad? Risk Regulation and Control of Dangerous Dogs in Germany, by Martin Lodge, German Politics, Vol.10 No.3, December 2001.
- Banning the Pit Bull: Why Breed-Specific Legislation is Constitutional, by Sallyanne K. Sullivan, University of Dayton Law Review, Winter, 1988.