Recent statistics, charts and maps ::
Review the most recent national dog bite fatality statistics, including combined-year charts and state pit bull fatality maps and successful breed-specific law statistics, studies and reports.
Fatality statistics and maps
View national dog bite fatality statistics, reports and trends by DogsBite.org.
- U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities: Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factors Over a 13-Year Period (2005 to 2017)
- 2020 Dog Bite Fatality Statistics
- 2019 Dog Bite Fatality Statistics
- 2018 Dog Bite Fatality Statistics
- 2017 Dog Bite Fatality Statistics
- 2016 Dog Bite Fatality Statistics
- 2015 Dog Bite Fatality Statistics
- View all years
National fatality charts
Download combined year national dog bite fatality charts by DogsBite.org.
- 16 Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart - Dog Breeds (2005 to 2020)
- 16 Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart - Age Groups (2005 to 2020)
- Summary of Factors and Scenarios Over 16-Year Period (2005-2020)
- Dog Bite Deaths and Death Rates Over 4 Periods (1989 to 2019)
- Summary of Factors and Scenarios Over 15-Year Period (2005-2019)
- 15 Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart - Dog Breeds (2005 to 2019)
- 15 Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart - Age Groups (2005 to 2019)
- 40 Years of U.S. Fatal Pit Bull Attacks in 5-Year Periods (1980-2019)
- View more data sets
State pit bull fatality maps
View Google Maps of states with the highest number of pit bull fatalities.
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
Watch list states
Review watch list states that have a growing number of pit bull fatalities.
BSL statistics and reports
Breed-specific law statistics
Review statistics, reports and posts about the need for breed-specific laws (BSL).
- Report: Pit Bulls Lead Biting Incidents Across U.S. Cities and Counties (2013 to present)
- Cities with Successful Pit Bull Laws; Data Shows Breed-Specific Laws Work (2006 to present)
- The City of Aurora, Colorado Dog Bite Statistics by Breed and Intake, Euthanasia Data Over a Three Year Period (2017-2019)
- The City and County of Denver Dog Bite Statistics by Breed and Injury Severity Over a Three Year Period (2017-2019)
- Pit Bull Attacks Rise in Pawtucket After State Preemption Law Muted City's Successful Pit Bull Ban (2019)
- Aurora Voters Favor Keeping Pit Bull Ban by Wide Margin in First General Election Vote (2014)
- Dramatic Decline in Attacks by Pit Bulls Since Pawtucket Adopted Pit Bull Ban in 2004 (2013)
Special reports and videos
Review a collection of special reports, posts and videos by DogsBite.org | View all
- The Great Con: Pit Bull Activist and Self-Appointed "Expert" Luke Westerman Faces 19 Felonies
- Delta Passenger Repeatedly Attacked in the Face by a Large "Support" Dog Sues Airline
- Why Breed Matters in Service Dogs and Why Pit Bull Service Dogs are a Bad Idea - DogsBite.org (2018)
- Fatal Wolf Hybrid Attacks - The Archival Record - DogsBite.org
- Delta Attack: Why Are Large, Unrestrained 'Emotional Support' Dogs Allowed in Cabins? (2017)
- Montreal Pit Bull Ban, What the Vets Omitted in Their Report and How the Pit Bull Lobby Operates (2016)
- Shelters Candy-Coat Dogs with Aggressive Behaviors in their Zeal to Increase 'Live Release Rate' (2016)
- Who Can Identify a Pit Bull? A Dog Owner of 'Ordinary Intelligence' Say the High Courts (2015)