Dog behavior studies ::
Studies, research papers and presentations examining aggressive dog behavior and the behavior of fighting dogs authored by animal behaviorists, veterinarians and animal welfare specialists.
- Behavior Testing Shelter Dogs -- A Summary of Where We Are Now, by Alexandra Semyonova (Response after 34 case files examined from Sonoma County Animal Services), September 2016. (View: related post)
- Abstract Development of the Behavioural Assessment for Re-Homing K9's (B.A.R.K.) protocol, by Kate M. Mornementemail, Grahame J. Coleman, Samia Toukhsati and Pauleen C. Bennettemail, Applied Animal Behaviour Science, December 2013.
- Reliability, Validity and Feasibility of Existing Tests of Canine Behaviour, by Kate Mornement, Samia Toukhsati, Grahame Coleman and Pauleen Bennett, Anthrozoology Research Group, Animal Welfare Science Centre and Monash University, AIAM Annual Conference on urban animal management, 2009.
- Aggressive Behavior in Adopted Dogs that Passed a Temperament Test, by E'Lise Christensen, Janet Scarletta, Michael Campagnaa and Katherine Albro Houpt, Applied Animal Behaviour Science, Volume 106, Issues 1-3, August 2007, Pages 85–95.
Aggression and fighting dogs
- The Tragic Fantasy That a Protection Dog Can Make a Reliable Family Pet, by Alexandra Semyonova (Response after a 7-year old boy was killed by a social protection trained dog with a "switch"), November 2014. (View: related post)
- Fighting Dogs: Are They Gladiators or Victims of Selection?, by Sergey Komarov (Study by Irina Smirnova, lecturer of Cherepovetsk State University), InnovativeReports.com, December 6, 2006.
- Aggressive Dog Breeds: Document nr. 1; Heritability of Behavior in the Abnormally Aggressive Dog, by A. Semyonova, The Carriage House Foundation, November 2006.
- Aggressive Dog Breeds: Document nr. 3; Backward Reasoning, Crooked Logic, Sudden Denial -- i.e., Human Pathologies, by A. Semyonova, The Carriage House Foundation, Baltimore, November 2006.
- The Care of Pit Bulls in the Shelter Environment, by Leslie D. Appel DVM, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), 2005 (www.sheltermedicine.com).
- Dog Bite Prevention for Law Enforcement and Other First Responders, by Randall Lockwood, PhD, Tawzer Dog Videos, 2004 (Purchase DVD) (www.tawzerdog.com)
- Effects of Castration on Problem Behaviors in Male Dogs with Reference to Age and Duration of Behavior, by Neilson JC, Eckstein RA, Hart BL, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 211:180, 1997.
- The Ethology and Epidemiology of Canine Aggression, by Randall Lockwood, The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behaviour, and Interactions with People, edited by James Serpell, Cambridge University Press, 1995.; republished in Animal Law and Dog Behavior, Lawyers & Judges Publishing Company, by David Favre and Peter L. Borchelt, PhD, 1999.
- Do's and Don'ts Concerning Vicious Dogs, by D.A. Clifford, DVM, MPH, PhD, AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Trust, 1993 (View excerpt document).
- Killer Genes Ate My Dog; Animal Behavior (Are Pit Bulls Inherently Dangerous), The Economist, June 1, 1991.
- The Pit Bull Dilemma: The Gathering Storm, by Donald H. Clifford (compiler), Kay Ann Green (editor), Ronald M. Watterson (editor), Charles Press Publishers PA, December 1990.
- Are "Pit Bulls" Different? An Analysis of the Pit Bull Terrier Controversy, by Randall Lockwood and Kate Rindy, Anthrozoos, Vol. 1 Number 1, 2-8, 1987.
- The Confinement, Handling and Care of Fighting Dogs, by Mary Past Boatfield, B Ed, Dr. Donald H. Clifford, PhD. and Judy Rubright, BS, New Methods, March 1983.
- Observations on Fighting Dogs, by Donald H. Clifford, DVM, PhD; Mary Past Boatfield, B Ed; and Judy Rubright, BS, JAMA, Vol 183, September 1983.