Dog aggression behavior studies ::
Studies, papers and surveys examining dog aggression, fighting breed aggression and shelter dog behavior tests authored by animal behaviorists, veterinarians and animal welfare specialists.
Castration & aggression
- Effects of Castration on Problem Behaviors in Male Dogs with Reference to Age and Duration of Behavior, by Neilson JC, Eckstein RA, Hart BL, JAVMA, 211:180, 1997.
- Abstract Dog Bites Dog: The Use of News Media Articles to Investigate Dog-on-Dog Aggression, by Montrose VA, Squibb K, Hazel S, Kogan LR and Oxley JA, Journal of Veterinary Behavior , v. 40, Nov-Dec 2020. | View related post | View related chart
- Abstract Intraspecific Killing in Dogs: Predation Behavior or Aggression? A Study of Aggressors, Victims, Possible Causes, and Motivations, by Schilder, MB, van der Borg, JA, Vinke, CM, J Vet Behav, v. 34, Nov-Dec 2019. | View related chart
- Abstract Canines seized by the Swedish Police Authority in 2015-2016, by Sarenbo SL, Forensic Sci Int, 2019 Mar;296:101-109.
- Dog Fights - 64,000 Canines Die in 12 Months, by Direct Line Pet Insurance, Research conducted by Opinium, October 18, 2017 (directlinegroup.co.uk)
Fighting breed aggression
- Relationship Between Scarring and Dog Aggression in Pit Bull-Type Dogs Involved in Organized Dogfighting, by Miller KA, Touroo R, Spain CV, Jones K, Reid R and Lockwood R, Animals, 2016 Nov; 6(11): 72.
- Fighting Dogs: Are They Gladiators or Victims of Selection?, by Sergey Komarov (Study by Irina Smirnova, lecturer of Cherepovetsk State University), InnovativeReports.com, December 6, 2006.
- Aggressive Dog Breeds: Document nr. 1; Heritability of Behavior in the Abnormally Aggressive Dog, by A. Semyonova, The Carriage House Foundation, November 2006 (nonlineardogs.com)
- Aggressive Dog Breeds: Document nr. 3; Backward Reasoning, Crooked Logic, Sudden Denial -- i.e., Human Pathologies, by A. Semyonova, The Carriage House Foundation, Baltimore, November 2006 (nonlineardogs.com).
- The Care of Pit Bulls in the Shelter Environment, by Leslie D. Appel DVM, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), 2005 (sheltermedicine.com).
- Excerpts: Dog Bite Prevention for Law Enforcement and Other First Responders, by Randall Lockwood, PhD, Tawzer Dog Videos, 2004 (tawzerdog.com)
- The Ethology and Epidemiology of Canine Aggression, by Randall Lockwood, The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behaviour, and Interactions with People, edited by James Serpell, Cambridge University Press, 1995.; republished in Animal Law and Dog Behavior, Lawyers & Judges Publishing Company, by David Favre and Peter L. Borchelt, PhD, 1999.
- The Pit Bull Dilemma: The Gathering Storm, by Donald H. Clifford (compiler), Kay Ann Green (editor), Ronald M. Watterson (editor), Charles Press Publishers PA, December 1990.
- Are "Pit Bulls" Different? An Analysis of the Pit Bull Terrier Controversy, by Randall Lockwood and Kate Rindy, Anthrozoos, Vol. 1 Number 1, 2-8, 1987.
- The Confinement, Handling and Care of Fighting Dogs, by Mary Pat Boatfield, B Ed, Dr. Donald H. Clifford, PhD. and Judy Rubright, BS, New Methods, March 1983.
- Observations on Fighting Dogs, by Donald H. Clifford, DVM, PhD; Mary Pat Boatfield, B Ed; and Judy Rubright, BS, JAMA, Vol 183, September 1983.
Morphology & neuroanatomy
- Significant Neuroanatomical Variation Among Domestic Dog Breeds, by Erin E. Hecht, Jeroen B. Smaers, William J. Dunn, Marc Kent, Todd M. Preuss and David A. Gutman, Journal of Neuroscience, 2 September 2019, 0303-19.
- Abstract Dog Bite Injuries to the Face: Is There Risk with Breed Ownership? A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis, by Garth F. Essig, Cameron Sheehan, Shefali Rikhi, Charles A. Elmaraghy and J. Jared Christophel, International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, Volume 117, February 2019, Pages 182-188 [2018 Nov 29, Epub] | View study highlights
Shelter dog behavior tests
- Assessing Aggression Thresholds in Dogs: Using the Assess-a-Pet Protocol to Better Understand Aggression, by Sue Sternberg, DogWise Publishing, 2017.
- Behavior Testing Shelter Dogs -- A Summary of Where We Are Now, by Alexandra Semyonova, September 2016 (nonlineardogs.com) | View: related post
- Reliability, Validity and Feasibility of Existing Tests of Canine Behaviour, by Kate Mornement, Samia Toukhsati, Grahame Coleman and Pauleen Bennett, Anthrozoology Research Group, Animal Welfare Science Centre and Monash University, AIAM Annual Conference on urban animal management, 2009.
- Aggressive Behavior in Adopted Dogs that Passed a Temperament Test, by E'Lise Christensen, Janet Scarletta, Michael Campagnaa and Katherine Albro Houpt, Applied Animal Behaviour Science, Volume 106, Issues 1-3, August 2007, Pages 85–95.
Shelter dog returns
- Characterizing Unsuccessful Animal Adoptions: Age and Breed Predict the Likelihood of Return, Reasons for Return and Post-Return Outcomes, by Powell L, Reinhard C, Satriale D, Morris M, Serpell J and Watson B, Scientific Reports, April 2021.
- Factors Informing the Return of Adopted Dogs and Cats to an Animal Shelter, by Hawes SM, Kerrigan JM, Hupe T and Morris KN, Animals, September 2020.