Aggressive dog behavior studies ::
Studies, books, papers and presentations examining aggressive dog behavior and the behavior of fighting dogs authored by animal behaviorists, veterinarians and animal welfare specialists.
- Assessing Aggression Thresholds in Dogs: Using the Assess-a-Pet Protocol to Better Understand Aggression, by Sue Sternberg, DogWise Publishing, 2017.
- Behavior Testing Shelter Dogs -- A Summary of Where We Are Now, by Alexandra Semyonova (Response after 34 case files examined from Sonoma County Animal Services), September 2016. (View: related post)
- Abstract Development of the Behavioural Assessment for Re-Homing K9's (B.A.R.K.) protocol, by Kate M. Mornementemail, Grahame J. Coleman, Samia Toukhsati and Pauleen C. Bennettemail, Applied Animal Behaviour Science, December 2013.
- Reliability, Validity and Feasibility of Existing Tests of Canine Behaviour, by Kate Mornement, Samia Toukhsati, Grahame Coleman and Pauleen Bennett, Anthrozoology Research Group, Animal Welfare Science Centre and Monash University, AIAM Annual Conference on urban animal management, 2009.
- Aggressive Behavior in Adopted Dogs that Passed a Temperament Test, by E'Lise Christensen, Janet Scarletta, Michael Campagnaa and Katherine Albro Houpt, Applied Animal Behaviour Science, Volume 106, Issues 1-3, August 2007, Pages 85–95.
Aggressive dog breeds
- The Tragic Fantasy That a Protection Dog Can Make a Reliable Family Pet, by Alexandra Semyonova (Response after a 7-year old boy was killed by a social protection trained dog with a "switch"), November 2014. (View: related post)
- Fighting Dogs: Are They Gladiators or Victims of Selection?, by Sergey Komarov (Study by Irina Smirnova, lecturer of Cherepovetsk State University), InnovativeReports.com, December 6, 2006.
- Aggressive Dog Breeds: Document nr. 1; Heritability of Behavior in the Abnormally Aggressive Dog, by A. Semyonova, The Carriage House Foundation, November 2006.
- Aggressive Dog Breeds: Document nr. 3; Backward Reasoning, Crooked Logic, Sudden Denial -- i.e., Human Pathologies, by A. Semyonova, The Carriage House Foundation, Baltimore, November 2006.
- The Care of Pit Bulls in the Shelter Environment, by Leslie D. Appel DVM, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), 2005 (sheltermedicine.com).
- Dog Bite Prevention for Law Enforcement and Other First Responders, by Randall Lockwood, PhD, Tawzer Dog Videos, 2004 (tawzerdog.com)
- Effects of Castration on Problem Behaviors in Male Dogs with Reference to Age and Duration of Behavior, by Neilson JC, Eckstein RA, Hart BL, JAVMA, 211:180, 1997.
- The Ethology and Epidemiology of Canine Aggression, by Randall Lockwood, The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behaviour, and Interactions with People, edited by James Serpell, Cambridge University Press, 1995.; republished in Animal Law and Dog Behavior, Lawyers & Judges Publishing Company, by David Favre and Peter L. Borchelt, PhD, 1999.
- Do's and Don'ts Concerning Vicious Dogs, by D.A. Clifford, DVM, MPH, PhD, AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Trust, 1993 (View excerpt document).
- Killer Genes Ate My Dog; Animal Behavior (Are Pit Bulls Inherently Dangerous), The Economist, June 1, 1991.
- The Pit Bull Dilemma: The Gathering Storm, by Donald H. Clifford (compiler), Kay Ann Green (editor), Ronald M. Watterson (editor), Charles Press Publishers PA, December 1990.
- Are "Pit Bulls" Different? An Analysis of the Pit Bull Terrier Controversy, by Randall Lockwood and Kate Rindy, Anthrozoos, Vol. 1 Number 1, 2-8, 1987.
- The Confinement, Handling and Care of Fighting Dogs, by Mary Past Boatfield, B Ed, Dr. Donald H. Clifford, PhD. and Judy Rubright, BS, New Methods, March 1983.
- Observations on Fighting Dogs, by Donald H. Clifford, DVM, PhD; Mary Past Boatfield, B Ed; and Judy Rubright, BS, JAMA, Vol 183, September 1983.
Morphology & neuroanatomical differences
- Abstract Dog Bite Injuries to the Face: Is There Risk with Breed Ownership? A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis, by Garth F. Essig, Cameron Sheehan, Shefali Rikhi, Charles A. Elmaraghy and J. Jared Christophel, International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, Volume 117, February 2019, Pages 182-188 [2018 Nov 29, Epub] | View study highlights
- Significant neuroanatomical variation among domestic dog breeds, by Erin E. Hecht, Jeroen B. Smaers, William J. Dunn, Marc Kent, Todd M. Preuss and David A. Gutman, Journal of Neuroscience, 2 September 2019, 0303-19.