Nonfatal dog bite injury studies ::
Peer-reviewed retrospective medical studies published in scientific journals examining severe and nonfatal dog bite injuries at Level I trauma centers in all US geographical regions.
- Pediatric Dog Bites: A Review of 1422 Cases Treated at a Level One Regional Pediatric Trauma Center, by Boyd LC, Chang J, Ajmera S, Wallace RD, Alvarez SM, Konofaos P, J Craniofac Surg, 33(4):p 1118-1121, June 2022.
- Abstract Analysis of Pediatric Dog Bite Injuries at a Level 1 Trauma Center Over 10 Years, by Munoz KR, Powell LE, Andersen ES, Nye AD, Powers JM, Rhodes J, Pozez AL, Ann Plast Surg, 2021 Jun 1;86(6S Suppl 5):S510-S516.
- Abstract Pediatric Craniofacial Fractures From Canine Bites, by Parent B, Bykowski MR, Marji FP, Ramgopal S, Goldstein JA, Losee JE, J Craniofac Surg, 2021 Jun 1;32(4):1627-1632.
- Abstract Facial Dog Bites Treated at the Massachusetts General Hospital Over a 20-year Period, by Zhu N, Walma AC, Troulis MJ, August M, Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol, August 2020;130(2):136–143.
- Abstract Dog-Bite Injuries to the Craniofacial Region: An Epidemiologic and Pattern-of-Injury Review at a Level 1 Trauma Center, by Khan K, Horswell B, Samanta D, J Oral Maxillofac Surg, March 2020 [2019 Nov 14, Epub] | View study highlights
- Abstract Pediatric Dog Bite Injuries in Central Texas, by Abraham JT, Czerwinski M, Journal of Pediatric Surgery, July 2019 [2018 Oct 31, Epub] | View study highlights
- Abstract Epidemiology, Socioeconomic Analysis, and Specialist Involvement in Dog Bite Wounds in Adults, by Lee CJ, Santos PJ, Vyas RM, J Craniofac Surg, May 2019;30(3):753-757.
- Abstract Dog Bite Injuries to the Face: Is There Risk with Breed Ownership? A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis, by Essig G, Sheehan C, Rikhi S, Elmaraghy C, Christophel J, Int. J. Pediatr. Otorhinolaryngol, Volume 117, February 2019, Pages 182-188 [2018 Nov 29, Epub] | View study highlights
- Abstract Dogs and Orthopaedic Injuries: Is There a Correlation to Breed?, by Brice J, Lindvall E, Hoekzema N, Husak L, J Orthop Trauma, 2018 Sep;32(9):e372-e375.
- Abstract Characteristics of Dog Bites in Arkansas, by Smith AM, Carlson J, Bartels AB, McLeod CB, Golinko MS, South Med J, 2018 Aug;111(8):494-500.
- An Algorithmic Approach to Operative Management of Complex Pediatric Dog Bites: 3-Year Review of a Level I Regional Referral Pediatric Trauma Hospital, by Alizadeh K, Shayesteh A, Xu ML, Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open, October 2017. | View study highlights
- Characteristics of 1616 Consecutive Dog Bite Injuries at a Single Institution, by Golinko MS, Arslanian B, Williams JK, Clinical Pediatrics (Phila), April 2017;56:316–325 [July 2016, Epub] | View study highlights
- Abstract Ocular Trauma From Dog Bites: Characterization, Associations, and Treatment Patterns at a Regional Level I Trauma Center Over 11 Years, by Prendes MA, Jian-Amadi A, Chang SH, Shaftel SS, Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg, 2016 Jul-Aug;32(4):279-83 [June 2015, Epub] | View study highlights
- Contemporary Update on the Treatment of Dog Bite: Injuries to the Oral and Maxillofacial Region, by Foster MD, Hudson JW, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, May 2015 Volume 73, Issue 5, Pages 935–942.
- Abstract Morbidity of Pediatric Dog Bites: A Case Series at a Level One Pediatric Trauma Center, by Garvey EM, Twitchell DK, Ragar R, Egan JC, Jamshidi R, J Pediatr Surg, February 2015;50:343-6.
- Dog Bites of the Head and Neck: An Evaluation of a Common Pediatric Trauma and Associated Treatment, by O'Brien DC, Andre TB, Robinson AD, Squires LD, Tollefson TT, Am J Otolaryngol, 2015 Jan-Feb; 36(1): 32–38 [2014 Sep 28, Epub] | View study highlights
- Dog Bites of the Face, Head and Neck in Children, by Horswell BB, Chahine CJ, W V Med J, Nov-Dec 2011.
- Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, by Bini JK, Cohn SM, Acosta SM, McFarland MJ, Muir MT, Michalek JE; TRISAT Clinical Trials Group, Ann Surg, April 2011;253:791-797 | View study highlights
- Abstract Pediatric Dog Bite Injuries: A 5-Year Review of the Experience at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, by Kaye AE, Belz JM, Kirschner RE, Plast Reconstr Surg, 2009 Aug;124(2):551-8.
- Abstract Head and Neck Dog Bites in Children, by Monroy A, Behar P, Nagy M, Poje C, Pizzuto M, Brodsky L, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 2009 Mar;140(3):354-7 | View study poster
- Abstract Analysis of Nonfatal Dog Bites in Children, by Daniels DM, Ritzi RB, O'Neil J, Scherer LR, J Trauma, 2009 Mar;66(3 Suppl):S17-22.
- Abstract Dog Bites in Urban Children, by Avner JR, Baker DM, Pediatrics, 1991;88:55–57.
Peer-reviewed retrospective medical studies published in scientific journals examining severe and nonfatal dog bite injuries at Level I trauma centers in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area.
- Abstract Neurosurgical Sequelae of Domestic Dog Attacks in Children, by Kumar R, Deleyiannis FW, Wilkinson C, O'Neill BR, J Neurosurg Pediatr, January 2017:24-31 [Epub 2016 Oct 21].
- Abstract Retrospective Analysis of Facial Dog Bite Injuries at a Level I Trauma Center in the Denver Metro Area, by Gurunluoglu R, Glasgow M, Arton J, Bronsert M, J Trauma Acute Care Surg, 2014 May;76(5):1294-300.
- Analysis of Pediatric Facial Dog Bites, by Chen HH, Neumeier AT, Davies BW, Durairaj VD, Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr, 2013 Dec; 6(4): 225–232.
- Abstract Pediatric Facial Fractures from Dog Bites, by Wei LA, Chen HH, Hink EM, Durairaj VD, Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg, 2013 May-Jun;29(3):179-82.
- Abstract Life-threatening dog attacks: a devastating combination of penetrating and blunt injuries, by Calkins CM, Bensard DD, Partrick DA, Karrer FM, Pediatric Surgery, 31 Jul 2001, 36(8):1115-1117.
Level II trauma center studies
Peer-reviewed retrospective medical studies examining severe and nonfatal dog bite injuries with the inclusion of breed information at Level II trauma centers and excluded from our trauma table.
- Surgical Treatment of Pediatric Dog-bite Wounds: A 5-year Retrospective Review, by Lee CJ, Tiourin E, Schuljak S, Phan J, Heyming TW, Schomberg J, Wallace E, Guner YS, Vyas RM, West J Emerg Med., 2021 Nov; 22(6): 1301–1310.
- Abstract Dog bite injuries in children: Clinical implications for head involvement, by Sribnick EA, Sarda S, Sawvel MS, Reisner A, Chern JJ, Trauma, 2016, Vol. 18(3) 210–215.