Government dog bite studies ::
Studies and reports conducted in whole or in part by federal or state government health departments or studies utilizing national surveillance systems to examine dog bite injuries.
- Number of Deaths Resulting from Being Bitten or Struck by a Dog, by Sex — National Vital Statistics System, United States, 2011–2021, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (wonder.cdc.gov)
- The Changing Epidemiology of Dog Bite Injuries in the United States, 2005–2018, by Tuckel PS, Milczarski W, Injury Epidemiology, 01 November 2020 | View study highlights
- The Demographics of Dog Bites in the United States, by Loder RT, Heliyon, 2019 Mar; 5(3): e01360.
- U.S. Inpatient Stays for Dog Bite Injuries (1993 to 2014) and U.S. ED Visits for Dog Bite Injuries (2006 to 2014). HCUP Nationwide Emergency Department Sample (NEDS). Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project HCUP. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (Accessed: December 13, 2018)
- Non-Fatal Dog Bite Injuries in the USA, 2005–2009, by Quirk JT, Public Health, Volume 126, Issue 4, April 2012, Pages 300-302.
- Emergency Department Visits and Inpatient Stays Involving Dog Bites, 2008, by Holmquist L, Elixhauser A, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD., November 2010 | View study highlights
- Abstract Dog Bites: Still a Problem?, by Gilchrist J, Sacks JJ, White D, Kresnow MJ, Injury Prevention, 2008;14:296-301 doi:10.1136/ip.2007.016220.
- Nonfatal Dog Bite--Related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments --- United States, 2001, by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), 2003; 52(26): 605-610 | View study highlights
- Breeds of Dogs Involved in Fatal Human Attacks in the United States Between 1979 and 1998, by Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R, J Am Vet Med Assoc, 2000 Sep 15;217(6):836-40 | View study highlights
- Dog-Bite-Related Fatalities United States, 1995-1996, by Lockwood R, Morbidity and Mortality Report, CDC, May 30, 1997, Vol.46, No.21.
- Fatal Dog Attacks, 1989-1994, by Sacks JJ, Lockwood R, Hornreich J, Sattin RW, Pediatrics, 1996;97:891-5.
- Dog Bites: How Big of a Problem?, by Sacks JJ, Kresnow M, Houston B, Injury Prevention, 1996; 2:52-54.
- Incidence of Dog Bite Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments (1992-1994), by Weiss HB, Friedman DI, Coben JH, JAMA 1998 Jan 7;279(1):51-3 | View study highlights
- Dog Bite-Related Fatalities from 1979 through 1988, by Sacks JJ, Sattin RW, Bonzo SE, JAMA 1989 Sep 15;262(11):1489-92.
- Unreported Dog Bites in Children, by Beck AM, Jones BA, Public Health Reports, 100(3): 315–321 May-June 1985.
- Human Deaths Induced by Dog Bites, United States, 1974-75, by Winkler WG, Public Health Reports, 1977 Sep-Oct; 92(5): 425–429.
American Indian and Alaska Native
- Dog Bite Injuries Among American Indian and Alaska Native Children, by Bjork A, Holman R, Callinan L, Hennessy TW, Cheek JE, McQuiston, JH, Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, J Pediatr,Jun;162(6):1270-5, 2013.
- Man’s Best Friend: Dog Bite Related Injuries on the Rosebud Reservation 1991 - 1998, by Russell T, Grossman D, Wallace D, Berger L, The IHS Primary Care Provider, Vol. 26, No. 3, March 2001.
- A Study of Dog Bites on the Navajo Reservation, by Daniels TJ, Public Health Reports, 1986;101:50-59.
- Who Let the Dogs Out? Dog Bites in Arizona, Hussaini SK, Research Brief, 2014.
- Hospitalizations Resulting from Dog Bite Injuries -- Alaska, 1991-2002, compiled by Castrodale L, Int J Circumpolar Health, 2007 Sep;66(4):320-7.
- Hospital-Treated Dog Bites in Minnesota, 1998-2005, by Day H, Roesler JS, Kinde M, Minnesota medicine, 90(7):43-5, 47, August 2007.
- Dog Bite Rates and Biting Dog Breeds in Texas, 1995-1997, by Blocker DE, University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center School of Public Health (Thesis) August 2000.
- Severe Attacks by Dogs: Characteristics of the Dogs, the Victims, and the Attack Settings (South Carolina), by Wright JC, Public Health Reports, 100:55–61, Jan-Feb 1985. Correction in: Public Health Reports, 100(4):363 Jul-Aug 1985.
- A Look at the Incidence and Risk Factors for Dog Bites in Unincorporated Harris County, Texas, USA, by Hasoon B, Shipp A, Hasoon J, Vet World, 2020 Mar; 13(3): 419–425.
- Dog Bites in a U.S. County: Age, Body Part and Breed in Paediatric Dog Bites (Allegheny County, PA), by Ramgopal S, Brungo LB, Bykowski MR, Pitetti RD, Hickey RW, ACTA Paediatrica, First published: 5 February 2018.
- Which Dogs Bite? A Case Control Study of Risk Factors (Denver County, CO), Gershman KA, Sacks JJ, Wright JC, Pediatrics, 1994 Jun;93(6 Pt 1):913-7 | View study highlights
- The Ecology of Dog Bite Injury in St. Louis, Missouri, by Beck A, Loring H, Lockwood R, Public Health Reports, 90:262-269, 1975.