Police K-9 dog bite studies ::
Peer-reviewed scientific medical studies published in medical journals examining police K-9 dog bite injuries, as well as research related to police K-9 dog bites and use of force protocols.
Studies and research
- Abstract The Demographics of Dog Bites Due to K-9 (Legal Intervention) in the United States, by Randall T. Loder and Cory Meixner, Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, July 2019, Pages 9-14.
- Abstract Dogs and Orthopaedic Injuries: Is There a Correlation to Breed?, by Brice J, Lindvall E, Hoekzema N, Husak L, J Orthop Trauma, 2018 Sep;32(9):e372-e375.
- Moving to Minimal Force: Police Dogs Plus Public Safety in British Columbia, by Douglas King, Darcie Bennett, Sandra Ignagni and David Renaud, Pivot Legal Society, 2014 (pivotlegal.org) | Results of Report: Unpacking the New Guidelines for Police Dogs in B.C., by Douglas King, Pivot Legal Society, November 27, 2014.
- The Police Canine Bite: Force, Injury, and Liability, by R. Paul McCauley, PhD, William F. Barker, PhD, James Boatman, VMD, Vineet Goel, PhD, MD, Thomas H. Short, PhD and Feng Zhou, PhD, The Department of Criminology and the Center for Research in Criminology, College of Health and Human Services, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, November 2008.
- Abstract Barks or Bites? The Impact of Training on Police Canine Force Outcomes, by Charlie Mesloh, Police Practice and Research, February 2007.
- Police and Domestic Dog Bite Injuries: What Are the Differences? What Are the Implications About Police Dog Use?, by Peter C. Meade, Injury Extra, 37(11):395-401, November 2006.
- Abstract To Bite or Not to Bite: Canine Apprehensions in a Large, Suburban Police Department, by Edward R. Hickey, Peter B. Hoffman, Journal of Criminal Justice, Volume 31, Issue 2, March–April 2003, Pages 147-154.
- Abstract Law Enforcement K-9 Dog Bites: Injuries, Complications, and Trends, by Hutson HR, Anglin D, Pineda, GV, Flynn, CJ, Russell, MA and McKeith JJ, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 1997 May;29(5):637-42.
- Managing Law Enforcement (K-9) Dog Bites in the Emergency Department, by Pineda, GV, Hutson HR, Anglin D, Flynn, CJ and Russell, MA, Academic Emergency Medicine, 3(4):352 - 358, April 1996.
- One Bay Area city, 73 police dog bites, and the law that made them public, by Julia Prodis Sulek and Harriet Blair Rowan, The Mercury News, December 19, 2021 (mercurynews.com).
- The Marshall Project Wins The Pulitzer Prize: “Mauled” is honored in the National Reporting category, The Marshall Project, June 11, 2021 (themarshallproject.org).
- Mauled: When Police Dogs are Weapons, by Abbie VanSickle, Maurice Chammah, Michelle Pitcher, Damini Sharma, Andrew Calderon and David Eads, et al., The Marshall Project, October 15, 2020 (themarshallproject.org).
- The City Where Someone Was Bitten by a Police Dog Every 5 Days, by Ryan Martin, Andrew Fan, Dana Brozost-Kelleher and Ellen Glover, The Marshall Project, October 11, 2020 (themarshallproject.org).
- When Police Violence is a Dog Bite. This investigation was published in partnership with The Marshall Project, a nonprofit news organization, AL.com, IndyStar, USA Today and the Invisible Institute. October 2, 2020 (themarshallproject.org).
- We Spent a Year Investigating Police Dogs: Here are Six Takeaways, by Ashley Remkus, AL.com, October 2, 2020 (al.com).
- Salt Lake City Finds ‘Pattern of Abuse’ When Police Use Dogs to Bite Suspects, by Jessica Miller, Salt Lake Tribune, September 25, 2020 (sltrib.com).
- I-Team: Tampa Bay Area Taxpayers Paying for Settlement Payments in K9 Officer Bites, by Adam Walser, ABC Action News, August 19, 2019 (abcactionnews.com).
- St. Paul Dramatically Limits Use of K-9s After Attack on Bystander, by Chao Xiong, Star Tribune, July 10, 2018 (startribune.com).
- Scarred: Bite Stories Reveal Darker Side of North Port's Award-Winning Police Canine Team, by Michael Scott Davidson, Herald-Tribune, July 12, 2015 (heraldtribune.com).
- Police Dogs Injure Someone in B.C. Every Two Days, Says Pivot Legal Society, The Canadian Press, June 26, 2014 (cbc.ca) | Police Dogs Get New Rules in B.C., by Terri Theodore, The Canadian Press, November 28, 2014 (cbc.ca).
- Police Dogs and Anti-Black Violence, by Tyler Parry, Black Perspectives, July 31, 2017 (aaihs.org).
- A Biting Controversy: Los Angeles Police Dogs Bite Hundreds of People Every Year, Many of Them Never Charged With a Crime. Officials Say the Dogs Are Just Doing Their Job. The Victims Say They Are Instruments of Terror, by David Beers, Los Angeles Times, February 9, 1992 (latimes.com).
- Cuban Bloodhounds and the Seminoles, by James W. Covington, The Florida Historical Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 2 (Oct., 1954), pp. 111-119.
- Lafayette PD Video: We Are All in Trouble When Trained Police K-9s Attack the Head, Neck Regions of Unarmed Suspects by DogsBite.org, September 18, 2020.
- Police Dogs Should Be Trained as Officers, Not Equipment, by Alexandra Semyonova, Animals 24-7, January 5, 2015 (animals24-7.org).
- The Tragic Fantasy That a Protection Dog Can Make a Reliable Family Pet, by Alexandra Semyonova, November 2014 (nonlineardogs.com) | View: related post