Police K-9 dog bite studies ::
Peer-reviewed scientific medical studies published in medical journals examining police K-9 dog bite injuries, as well as research related to police K-9 dog bites and use of force protocols.
Studies and research
- Abstract Dogs and Orthopaedic Injuries: Is There a Correlation to Breed?, by Brice J, Lindvall E, Hoekzema N, Husak L, J Orthop Trauma, 2018 Sep;32(9):e372-e375.
- Police Dogs Should Be Trained as Officers, Not Equipment, by Alexandra Semyonova (nonlineardogs.com), published by Animals24-7.org, January 5, 2015.
- Moving to Minimal Force: Police Dogs Plus Public Safety in British Columbia, by Douglas King, Darcie Bennett, Sandra Ignagni and David Renaud, Pivot Legal Society, Vancouver, BC, 2014 (www.pivotlegal.org) | Results of report
- The Police Canine Bite: Force, Injury, and Liability, by R. Paul McCauley, Ph.D., William F. Barker, Ph.D., James Boatman, VMD, Vineet Goel, Ph.D., M.D., Thomas H. Short, Ph.D. and Feng Zhou, Ph.D., The Department of Criminology and the Center for Research in Criminology, College of Health and Human Services, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, November 2008.
- Abstract Barks or Bites? The Impact of Training on Police Canine Force Outcomes, by Charlie Mesloh, Police Practice and Research, February 2007.
- Police and Domestic Dog Bite Injuries: What Are the Differences? What Are the Implications About Police Dog Use?, by Peter C.Meade, Injury Extra, 37(11):395-401, November 2006.
- Abstract Law Enforcement K-9 Dog Bites: Injuries, Complications, and Trends, by Hutson HR, Anglin D, Pineda, GV, Flynn, CJ, Russell, MA and McKeith, JJ Annals of Emergency Medicine, 1997 May;29(5):637-42.
- Managing Law Enforcement (K-9) Dog Bites in the Emergency Department, by Pineda, GV, Hutson HR, Anglin D, Flynn, CJ and Russell, MA Academic Emergency Medicine, 3(4):352 - 358, April 1996.
- St. Paul Dramatically Limits Use of K-9s After Attack on Bystander, by Chao Xiong, Star Tribune, St. Paul, MN, July 10, 2018.
- Scarred: Bite Stories Reveal Darker Side of North Port's Award-Winning Police Canine Team, by Michael Scott Davidson, Herald-Tribune, North Port, FL, July 12, 2015.
- Cop Dogs' Miscues Prove Grisly, Costly, by Mike Carter, Seattle Times, Seattle, WA, March 2, 2013.
- Criminal Trial Ends for Former Officer Whose 'Retired' Dual-Certified Police K-9 Killed a Man and Injured a Woman
- Preliminary Hearing of Former Officer Whose 'Personal' Dual-Certified K-9 Killed a Man and Injured a Woman
- 2016 Dog Bite Fatality: Former Officer Charged with Felonies After his 'Personal' K-9 Killed a Man and Injured a Woman