Service and Support Dog Studies ::
Peer-reviewed studies and news reports examining Psychiatric Service Dogs in the treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and the laws and ethics related to Emotional Support Animals.
PTSD Service Animals
- A Randomized Trial of Differential Effectiveness of Service Dog Pairing Versus Emotional Support Dog Pairing to Improve Quality of Life for Veterans with PTSD, by VA Office of Research and Development, January 25, 2020 (research.va.gov).
- Defining the PTSD Service Dog Intervention: Perceived Importance, Usage, and Symptom Specificity of Psychiatric Service Dogs for Military Veterans, by Rodriguez KE, LaFollette MR, Hediger K, Ogata N and O'Haire ME, Front. Psychol, July 2020.
- The Study of Service Dogs for Veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Scoping Literature Review, by Emmy AE, van Houtert, Endenburg N, Wijnker JJ, Rodenburg B and & Vermetten E, Eur. J. Psychotraumatol, 9:sup3, 2018.
- Preliminary Efficacy of Service Dogs as a Complementary Treatment for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Military Members and Veterans, by O’Haire, ME and Rodriquez, KE, J Consult Clin Psychol, 86(2), 179-188, 2018.
- Design and Challenges for a Randomized, Multi-Site Clinical Trial Comparing the Use of Service Dogs and Emotional Support Dogs in Veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), by Saunders GH, Biswas K, Serpib T, et al., Contemp Clin Trials, 2017 Nov;62:105-113.
- VA Study on Whether Dogs Can Heal Vets with PTSD Has Critics, by Allen Breed, Associated Press, April 12, 2016 (apnews.com)
- VA Restarting Study on Service Dogs and PTSD, by by VA Office of Research and Development, March 24, 2015 (research.va.gov).
Emotional Support Animals (ESA)
- Laws and Ethics Related to Emotional Support Animals , by Carroll JD, Mohlenhoff BS, Kersten CM, McNiel DE and Binder RL, JAPPL, September 2020.
- Emotional Support Animal Assessments: Toward a Standard and Comprehensive Model for Mental Health Professionals, by Younggren JN, Boness CL Bryant LM and Koocher GP, Prof Psychol Res Pr., 2020 Apr; 51(2): 156–162.
- Abstract The Certification of Emotional Support Animals: Differences Between Clinical and Forensic Mental Health Practitioners, by Boness CL, Younggren JN, & Frumkin IB, Prof Psychol Res Pr., 48(3), 216–223, 2017.
- Examining Emotional Support Animals and Role Conflicts in Professional Psychology, by Younggren JN, Boisvert J and Boness C, Prof Psychol Res Pr., 47(4), 255–260, 2016.
- Registrations of Assistance Dogs in California for Identification Tags: 1999–2012, by Yamamoto M, Lopez MT and Hart LA, PLoS ONE 10(8): e0132820, 2015.
- DOT Final Rule: No Longer Recognizes Emotional Support Animals, Prohibits Pit Bull Bans in Aircraft Cabin and More, by DogsBite.org, December 21, 2020
- Why Breed Matters in Service Dogs and Why Pit Bull Service Dogs are a Bad Idea, by DogsBite.org, July 5, 2018.
- The Friendly Skies Fade After a Delta Passenger is Severely Attacked by an Unrestrained 'Emotional Support Dog', by DogsBite.org, July 14, 2017.