Animal shelter investigations ::
County and civil grand jury audits and reports of animal service departments, as well as news investigations exposing taxpayer-funded shelters that hide the bite history of dogs up for adoption.
Audits and reviews of shelters
- Audit of Dangerous and Aggressive Dogs Investigation and Determination Process, by Office of the City Auditor, Dallas, Texas, August 2022 | Previously: Audit of Dallas Animal Services Operations, by Office of the City Auditor, Dallas, Texas, December 2016.
- Audit of DeKalb County Animal Enforcement, by Office of Independent Internal Audit, DeKalb County, Georgia, July 2020
- Audit of the Orange County Animal Services Division Dangerous Dog Compliance Program, by Orange County Comptroller, Orange County, Florida, June 2018.
- Review of San Francisco Animal Care and Control, by San Francisco County Civil Grand Jury, San Francisco County, California, June 2018.
- Review of Humboldt County Animal Control, the City of Eureka Animal Control, and the City of Fortuna Animal Control, by Humboldt County Civil Grand Jury, Humboldt County, California, June 2018 | Read responses
- Follow Up Review of Multnomah County Animal Services, by Office of Multnomah County Auditor, Multnomah County, Oregon, June 2018 | Previously: Review of Multnomah County Animal Services, by Office of Multnomah County Auditor, Multnomah County, Oregon, February 2016.
- Animal Services Division Organizational Review, by Fairfax County Police Department, Fairfax County, Virginia, June 2016.
News investigations of shelters
- Part I: Ex-employees say North Shore Animal League hid dangerous history of some dogs, by News 12, March 9, 2020 (longisland.news12.com).
- Part II: Concerns arise over lack of laws required at NY shelters to reveal dog bite history to adopters, by News 12, March 11, 2020 (longisland.news12.com).
- Goldstein Investigation: Local Animal Shelter Isn't Telling All About Some Dangerous Dogs Up For Adoption, by David Goldstein, CBS Los Angeles, November 18, 2019 (losangeles.cbslocal.com).
- Part I: N4T Investigators: Dangerous Dogs?, by Sam Salzwedel, KVOA, July 11, 2018 (kvoa.com) | Related video
- Part II: N4T Investigators: PACC refuses interview, by Sam Salzwedel, KVOA, August 3, 2018 (kvoa.com).
- Part III: N4T Investigators: County faces lawsuit after adoption from PACC bites woman in face, by Sam Salzwedel, KVOA, October 22, 2018 (kvoa.com).
- Director resigns post at Albuquerque Animal Welfare Department, by Colleen Heild, Albuquerque Journal, December 6, 2017 (abqjournal.com).
- Part I: Multiple dog attacks inside Fairfax shelter, by Andrea McCarren, WUSA-TV, August 11, 2016 (wusa9.com).
- Part II: Pet killed by shelter dog in front of owner, by Andrea McCarren and Erin Van der Bellen, WUSA-TV, August 11, 2016 (wusa9.com).
- Bay Area man attacked by adopted pet, shelter plans changes for dangerous dogs, by KTVU-TV, August 1, 2016 (ktvu.com).
- Part I: Are Austin's no-kill shelters adopting out dangerous dogs?, by Brian Collister, KXAN-TV, February 26, 2016 (kxan.com).
- Part II: An Investigation into Austin's no-kill shelters, by Brian Collister, KXAN-TV, February 27, 2016 (kxan.com).
- Complaint: Dangerous dogs being released by city, by Colleen Heild, Albuquerque Journal, March 31, 2015 (abqjournal.com) | Statement of Jim Ludwick
Mandatory bite disclosure laws